Increase font size
Decrease font size


To be eligible for financial aid, a student must:

  • Enroll in a degree program (or in the Dental Hygiene, Dental Assisting, or Radiography Certificate programs or completing Teacher Certification to become licensed)
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (permanent resident)
  • Make satisfactory academic progress while enrolled
  • Be registered for Selective Service (if applicable) and
  • Not be in default on a prior federal loan or owe an amount on a prior federal grant

Financial Need

Most student aid is awarded on the basis of financial need.

The federal government reviews the information provided on your FAFSA and estimates how much you and your family can afford to pay for college. The University follows that federal calculation to determine what kind of state, federal, and UNC aid is available for you.

If you are an undergraduate student, information provided on the CSS/PROFILE will also be used to determine eligibility for UNC-funded aid.

Cost of Attendance is an estimate of your enrollment costs, including tuition, fees, books, supplies, housing, meals, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses.

Expected Family Contribution is determined by the federal government based on your income and assets, living expenses, taxes, family size, and the number of college students in your household.

Financial Need is simply the Cost of Attendance minus the Expected Family Contribution.

Net Price Calculator: Undergraduate students can use our Net Price Calculator to estimate financial aid eligibility.