Increase font size
Decrease font size


Undergraduate Students

Financial aid applications for the upcoming academic year open in October.

Aid applications should be completed by March 1, but early applications are strongly encouraged. We will not review and process applications until you have been admitted, but you should still complete the application early. Late applications are accepted, but the sooner you apply, the better.

Newly enrolling students should complete:

  1. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) | UNC code is 002974.
  2. The CSS Profile (new students only)  | UNC code is 5816.
    The profile is used for University scholarships and grants.

The CSS Profile is only required for new students. Returning students — those enrolled at UNC during the prior academic year — only need to complete an updated FAFSA.

If you are planning to attend in the Fall 2019 semester the deadline to be considered for university grants and scholarships is August 1st, 2019. If you are planning to attend in the Spring 2020 semester the deadline to be considered for university grants and scholarships is January 22, 2020. Be sure to have your application and any items on your Financial Aid To Do list completed before the appropriate date. You may still be eligible for other types of aid such as loans, work-study, federal Pell Grants, and scholarships from outside agencies after this date. If you are having issues gathering requested documents, please contact us at aidinfo@unc.edu.

To complete your federal aid forms, you’ll need to create an FSA ID — the digital signature that allows you to electronically sign federal documents. Use this form to keep track of your FSA ID records. You’ll need them in future years.

You will be notified by e-mail if we need more information, and your aid will be confirmed after you’ve submitted any requested documents. Carolina does not use the College Board IDOC system — we will directly ask for any needed documents from you.

Graduate and Professional Students

Only one application is required for graduate and professional students:

  1.  Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – available at fafsa.gov, UNC code 002974.

Submit the FAFSA on or before March 1st.  Late applications are accepted, but the sooner you apply, the more aid might be available.

Once your application is submitted, financial aid eligibility will be determined.  In rare circumstances, additional information will be requested from you prior to determining eligibility.

Annual Process — Apply Every Year

Returning students must reapply by March 1 each year. Late applications are accepted, but the sooner you apply, the better.

Returning students only need to complete the FAFSA, which is available in October.

Award Notification – Notifications about aid awards will begin in March and continue through the spring.  After you apply, visit your ConnectCarolina to check your application status. Once an award is posted, an email will be sent to your UNC e-mail account.

Additional Documentation – Sometimes, we need more information to calculate your financial aid. We’ll e-mail a request to your UNC e-mail address, so monitor your UNC account closely. The sooner we get documents from you, the sooner we can finalize your aid.

If your financial circumstances change, your financial aid may also change.

Aid Information and Advice

  • Verification. Every year, some percentage of aid applications are asked to submit extra documentation — commonly called verification. This is part of the federal rules around student aid, and does not mean there’s anything wrong or worrisome in an aid application.
  • Watch your email. Monitor your UNC email and your ConnectCarolina To-Do List for any follow-up documentation. We cannot complete your aid offer until we have all requested information.
  • Part-time enrollment. Awards are made on the assumption that you will enroll full-time for both the fall and spring semesters.  If you will not be full-time, please notify our office and your aid will be adjusted.
  • Non-custodial parents. In the case of divorced parents, UNC only requires financial information from the custodial parent (the parent who is primarily responsible for supporting the student).