Consent and Consumer Information

Consent and Consumer Information

voluntary consent for electronic transactions

Email and the ConnectCarolina portal are the primary way University schools and departments communicate important information to students. This includes managing your financial aid, student financial information such as your 1098T statement, and class registration.   Some of these electronic transactions and agreements may involve financial obligations.  You must provide your electronic consent to allow the University to communicate with you electronically.  You granted your permission as part of creating your ONYEN.

If you choose to opt out of electronic communication and transactions, you will not have access to ConnectCarolina. To obtain more information about conducting business with individual campus offices offline, contact the University RegistrarNote that manual, non-electronic alternatives will result in longer and delayed processing times and not all services may be available through non-electronic means.

consumer information

Under federal rules, the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid is responsible for sharing various policies, reports, and other University information with all enrolled students.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, education specialist, and doctoral degrees.  Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-479-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Some academic programs are also accredited by agencies that oversee education in specific professional fields.   A list of those agencies and the current accreditation status of Carolina’s professional programs are provided here.

Additional information about Carolina’s accreditation can be found here.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Catalog offers information about the academic programs at UNC-Chapel Hill.  Included are admissions standards, tuition and fees, financial aid information, program and course descriptions, and listings of faculty/instructors for each department.

This includes statistics about reported crimes during the past three years, as well as policies covering campus security and sexual assault. You will find information here about the University’s drug and alcohol policies, including disciplinary sanctions; criminal sanctions for violation of drug and alcohol laws; health risks of drugs and alcohol; and substance abuse treatment options.  There is also a Fire Safety Report containing statistics and information about fire safety processes at the University, staff information, and educational programs.

This report contains participation rates, financial support, and other information regarding men’s and women’s intercollegiate athletic programs.  The report is available on the U.S. Department of Education website. Search for University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Student-Athlete federal graduation rates and NCAA graduation success rates can be found on the NCAA’s website by searching University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

Information about FERPA compliance and students’ rights under the law is available from the Office of the University Registrar.

Students may access individual financial aid information in their ConnectCarolina Student Center. General financial aid information and rights and responsibilities of financial aid recipient information can be found on the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid website.  To remain eligible for financial aid at UNC-Chapel Hill, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Students will be notified at their University email address if they are not meeting SAP. Students may access the SAP policy, appeal resources, and important deadlines here.

Per U.S. Federal Regulations, the University provides the following disclosure related to the educational requirements for professional licensure and certification.

The University’s professional licensure programs and their accrediting bodies are listed here: UNC-CH Professional Licensure and Certification Programs. Most University licensing programs are designed to prepare students for professional licensure in North Carolina, although because many of our programs are nationally accredited they may meet the requirements for other states. If you have any questions about whether your program meets the requirements for licensure in a state in which you wish to practice, other than North Carolina, you should contact your program directly.

This Disclosure is strictly limited to the University’s determination of whether its educational programs, if successfully completed, would be sufficient to meet the educational licensure or certification requirements. The University cannot provide verification of any individual’s ability to meet licensure or certification requirements unrelated to its educational programming, as individual states may change their requirements for licensure and certification.

Accessibility Resources & Service works to ensure that all University programs and facilities are accessible to all persons.  The office develops programs and services that enable students to meet the demands of University life as independently as possible.  In addressing academic issues and needs, Accessibility Resources & Service partners with the Academic Success Program for students with LD/ADHD.

Detailed information about registering to vote in North Carolina can be found through the State Board of Elections.  The national voter registration form for registering to vote in other states may be accessed here.  Paper copies of voter registration forms are available in Davis Library.  The Office of Accessibility Resources & Service assists in registering to vote to any student with a disability.  The deadline for registering to vote in North Carolina is 25 days before the date of the election in which you want to vote.

rights and responsibilities

Your Rights:

  • To have your records and data treated confidentially.
  • To be given courteous and considerate treatment, as well as dignity and respect.
  • To have access to information about priority deadlines and forms needed to apply for aid.
  • To have access to information about the terms and conditions of financial aid programs, including loans.
  • To be informed of the type and amount of your aid offer, including how much of your need has been met, and how and when you will receive eligible funds.
  • To receive an explanation on how decisions on financial aid eligibility are made, the basis of these decisions.
  • To be informed on the procedures for reconsideration if it is believed that a mistake has been made or if circumstances have changed.
  • To view the contents of your financial aid file, in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Your Responsibilities:

  • To be courteous and considerate when communicating with the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid (OSSA).
  • To submit applications correctly and before the deadline.
  • To read and understand all materials sent to you from OSSA and other financial aid agencies.
  • To provide all documentation and information requested by OSSA.
  • To read the provided information about the terms and conditions of awarded aid and to comply with those provisions.
  • To perform, in a satisfactory manner, the work that is agreed upon in a Work-Study position.
  • To notify OSSA of any and all outside scholarships or resources not listed on your award notification.
  • To use financial aid only for expenses related to attending UNC.

Student Loan Code of Conduct

In compliance with federal regulation 34 USC 601.219(c), employees of the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid (or any other employees of the University who are involved with the administration of student loans) will not do any of the following:

  • Enter into revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender, guarantor, or servicer of education loans;
  • Solicit or accept gifts from a lender, guarantor, or servicer, including entertainment and trips;
  • Accept offers of funds for private loans to students in exchange for providing concessions or promises to the lender, guarantor, or servicer for a specific number of loans made, insured, or guaranteed; a specified loan volume; or a preferred lender arrangement. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill does not have a preferred lender arrangement or a preferred lender list.  The University does not steer borrowers toward any lender and it does not delay certifying loans in order to encourage use of another lender.
  • Enter into an agreement or contract as a paid consultant to provide services to a lender or on behalf of a lender;
  • Accept compensation to serve on an advisory board, commission, or group established by lenders or guarantors, except for reimbursement of reasonable expenses.