We being to process financial aid for returning students in mid-January.
- If we need additional documentation, you will receive an email notifying you of items on your ‘To Do’ list in your ConnectCarolina Student Center. On the right side in Student Center click ‘Financial Aid Items’ for additional information.
- If we do not need any additional information you will receive an email to your UNC issued email letting you know you can view your aid offer in your ConnectCarolina Student Center.
- Please keep in mind that it can take up to three weeks to process and review documentation. Your ‘To Do’ list will show a received status when we receive the document, and a complete status when it has been reviewed.
Financial aid is generally disbursed 7 to 10 days before the first day of the semester. Once aid is disbursed, it will go directly to your student account with the University Cashier and be applied to your charges.
If you notice that your aid has not been applied to your account within a week before classes begin, there may be additional action required on your part. Common reasons for not receiving disbursement include:
- You were approved to enroll full-time but are not enrolled in 12 hours.
- You are taking an approved underload but haven’t completed the Underload Adjustment Request Form with our office.
- You haven’t completed the loan requirements on your ‘To Do’ list for your loans.
- You have additional holds that need addressing. Any holds will be displayed in your Connect Carolina Student Center.
Once aid is applied, any aid in excess of charges will be refunded to you; refunds will be processed around the first day of classes. The quickest way to receive your refund is to set up direct deposit with the University Cashier. If you have not selected direct deposit you must email or go in person to the cashier to request and collect your refund check.
You can defer your bill and extend your due date with the University Cashier in ConnectCarolina. Please note: Campus Health charges, library fines and charges from a prior semester cannot be deferred.
Deferments requests must be submitted before the due date on the first bill of each semester.
To defer your bill:
- Log in to ConnectCarolina and access the Student Center through Self Service.
- In the Student Financials section, select Request Deferment from the drop-down menu.
- Click/check the box for Financial Aid Deferment and the Statement of Understanding and click submit.
- Click OK at the confirmation screen. You must request the deferment before the due date on the billing statement.
- The new due date will be displayed in the Account Activity section of the Student Center.
Once the new due date is less than 30 days away, the balance will show as DUE NOW instead of FUTURE DUE.