- Federal Health Professions Student Loans (HPSL) are available if you enroll in the Doctor of Dentistry (DDS) or Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program.
- Federal Loans for Disadvantaged Students (LDS) are available if you enroll in the Doctor of Dentistry (DDS) program.
- Federal Nursing Student Loans (NSL) are available if you enroll in certain Nursing Programs.
- You must demonstrate financial need in order to be eligible for the HPSL, LDS, or NSL Programs. Parental income and asset information is required to determine financial need for the HPSL and LDS Programs, regardless of your age, dependency, or marital status. Parental income and asset information is required to determine financial need for the NSL Program, if you are a dependent undergraduate student.
- The Office of Scholarships & Student Aid will provide you with instructions and application materials to help determine eligibility. Applying for HPSL, LDS, or NSL is optional.
- HPSL, LDS, and NSL loans carry a 5% fixed interest rate, which is paid by the federal government while you are enrolled at least half-time in the DDS, PharmD, or Nursing programs. Repayment doesn’t begin until 12 months (HPSL and LDS) or 9 months (NSL) after you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time status, whichever comes first.
Accepting or Adjusting HPSL or LDS Loans
The federal HPSL and LDS loans will be automatically included in your financial aid offer once you are determined eligible. You can view the accepted award on your Connect Carolina Student Services Center.
To reduce or decline the award, please look under Student Financials for the Accept/Reduce/Decline awards hyperlink.
Complete Entrance Counseling/Promissory Note
Repayment of HPSL and LDS Loans
The University Cashier’s Office handles the promissory notes for the HPSL and LDS loans. Please visit their website for a complete step-by-step guide.