Once you are admitted, we will process financial aid within the first week. You will receive either a financial aid offer or a request for additional items.
- We will send notification of your financial aid offer to your UNC email. The email will include instructions on how to view your offer in your ConnectCarolina Student Center. You will need to create an ONYEN (Only Name You’ll Ever Need) in order to view your aid.
- If you were recently admitted, the following chart may help you in your ONYEN creation.
- If you haven’t received your financial aid offer, be sure to check your ‘To Do’ list for missing items.
- If you receive a request for additional items, it can take one-to-two weeks from the time we receive each item to clear it from the ‘To Do’ list. Once we receive all requested items, a final review will take place, aid will be processed, and we will send an aid offer via email.
- If you do not hear from our office within a week of being admitted, it could be because:
- Your Social Security Number was missing on the Common Application, and we do not have it on file with the University. This can be corrected by clicking the ‘Student Records Item’ on the ‘To Do’ list in your ConnectCarolina Student Center.
- Your Social Security Number was incorrect on the Common Application, and it is now incorrect with the University. This can be corrected by completing this form with the PID office.
- Your Social Security Number was incorrect on your financial aid application. This can be corrected by completing a new FAFSA with the correct SSN.
Financial aid is generally disbursed 7 to 10 days before the first day of the semester. Once aid is disbursed, it will go directly to your student account with the University Cashier and be applied to your charges.
If you notice that your aid has not been applied to your account within a week before classes begin, there may be additional action required on your part. Common reasons for not receiving disbursement include:
- You were approved to enroll full-time but are not enrolled in 12 hours.
- You are taking an approved underload but haven’t completed the Underload Adjustment Request Form with our office.
- You haven’t completed the loan requirements on your ‘To Do’ list for your loans.
- You have additional holds that need addressing. Any holds will be displayed in your Connect Carolina Student Center.
Once aid is applied, any aid in excess of charges will be refunded to you. These refunds will be processed around the first day of classes. The quickest way to receive your refund is to set up direct deposit with the University cashier. If you have not selected direct deposit you must email or go in-person to the University Cashier to request and collect your refund check.
You can defer your bill and extend your due date with the University Cashier in ConnectCarolina. Please note: Campus Health charges, library fines and charges from a prior semester cannot be deferred.
Deferments requests must be submitted before the due date on the first bill of each semester.
To defer your bill:
- Log in to ConnectCarolina and access the Student Center through Self Service.
- In the Student Financials section, select Request Deferment from the drop-down menu.
- Click/check the box for Financial Aid Deferment and the Statement of Understanding and click submit.
- Click OK at the confirmation screen. You must request the deferment before the due date on the billing statement.
- The new due date will be displayed in the Account Activity section of the Student Center.
Once the new due date is less than 30 days away, the balance will show as DUE NOW instead of FUTURE DUE.