Covenant FAQs

Covenant FAQs

Carolina Covenant Frequently Asked Questions

There is no separate application, all incoming first-year and transfer students will be evaluated for eligibility. You can read more about the eligibility guidelines here.

Carolina Covenant Scholars are a source of great pride for our University community. Many students share this designation as part of their collegiate identity, are proud to be Covenant Scholars, and are comfortable disclosing this status. However, being a Carolina Covenant Scholar is related to your private financial circumstances. Therefore, the identification of individual Covenant Scholars will not be disclosed to any person without the student’s permission. However, the names and records of individual Covenant Scholars may be released to and tracked by Carolina faculty and staff in and outside of the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid who have a legitimate educational interest, as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

The Carolina Covenant pledges to meet the full documented need of eligible students with a combination of grants, scholarships, and the amount that can be earned by working 10-12 hours per week in a Federal Work-Study job.  This combination of assistance provides you with the opportunity to attend eight regular academic year semesters and graduate debt-free from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  Debt-free packages are generally limited to attendance during regular academic terms (fall and spring semesters).  

Sophomore transfers designated as Carolina Covenant Scholars may receive six academic semesters of debt-free packaging.  Junior transfers designated as Carolina Covenant scholars may receive four academic semesters of debt-free packaging.  Senior transfer students may receive up to two academic semesters of debt-free packaging. 

To receive a financial aid award under the Carolina Covenant as a sophomore, junior or senior, you must:

  • Be enrolled at Carolina and making steady progress toward a degree;
  • Be in compliance with federal financial aid standards and related institutional policies;
  • Meet the March 1 priority application deadline for financial aid; and
  • Meet the deadline for University grant eligibility.

The Carolina Covenant financial aid package meets individual Covenant Scholars’ need to cover the standard cost of attendance toward their first undergraduate major/minor requirements. The financial aid package is limited to a standard number of semesters (fall and spring) based on their entry point at the university and standard semesters of enrollment to graduate:

  • Traditional first year: Eight semesters
  • Sophomore transfers: Six semesters
  • Junior transfers: Four semesters

While funding is limited to extend additional terms of the Covenant aid package, we recognize that some students experience circumstances beyond their control that may impact their path. Learn more about the policy and the appeals process here.

Financial aid for summer is based on the prior academic year’s FAFSA.  You will be considered for Pell Grant and/or loans only for summer. 

Yes, you may use your financial aid towards your study abroad program during the fall or spring semesters. Unfortunately, we do not have remaining grant aid to award for summer sessions. We encourage you to study abroad during the academic year through programs at the exchange rate. If you choose to study abroad during the summer, you will likely need a loan to cover the expenses. Please contact our Study Abroad contact within the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid with questions.

Yes, but you will need to be sure to enroll in the student plan, and complete the insurance budget adjustment request form.

Yes, we can evaluate your eligibility for a budget increase. Since this is an elected additional expense aid would be offered in the form of remaining loan eligibility. The form to request the budget increase is available upon request.

If you have extenuating circumstances beyond your control that force a need for more expensive housing (such as a medical accommodation) please let us know when you reach out to request the housing budget add-on form.

Your package will consist of Pell Grants, state grants, work-study and loans only. You can appeal by submitting a letter explaining why you were unable to meet the deadline to

You financial aid will be exactly the same if you live on or off-campus.  The difference is that you will receive a refund that you will have to budget carefully for off-campus housing/meals/transportation.

Yes, you will be automatically eligible for a CCI laptop grant in your entering semester only.  This covers the basic Lenovo laptop computer.  If you want a more expensive version you will have to cover the difference out of pocket.  If you wish to order printers/copiers, you will also be responsible for paying for those out of pocket. 

Yes, it covers the orientation fees for you and one parent to come and stay on campus.  It does not cover travel fees or hotel fees if your parent opts to stay off campus.  If you pay before you are awarded Carolina Covenant status you can be reimbursed in the method in which you paid.  The Office of New Student and Family Programs Covers the Cost. 

No, this is an deposit you are responsible for paying to ensure acceptance and a housing placement.  However, you may defer your enrollment deposit until the fall if you need more time. The deposit becomes a credit on your account from your total bill, if you defer, you just will not have that credit on your account.

Your award will NOT change if you drop a course after the census date, and remain enrolled at least half-time (six hours).  If you drop before the census date your financial aid will be revised and you will owe a balance back to the Cashiers Office.  Please check with us before you drop in this case so that you will know the amount that you will owe back to the University. 

Our office will be notified of the “effective date” of withdrawal.  We will then be able to determine the amount that you will owe back to the University under the Return to Title IV federal guidelines.  If you withdraw after being enrolled for over 60 percent of the semester, there will be no repayment.