Increase font size
Decrease font size

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Good news: in most cases, financial aid travels with you!

Study abroad can be very affordable, sometimes even less than a semester in Chapel Hill. Cost varies a lot depending on the program, so explore the Study Abroad Budget Sheet to get an idea of the options. Direct exchange programs are generally the most affordable.

Requesting Aid for Study Abroad

Complete the Financial Aid for Study Abroad Form to let us know about your plans. This is in addition to the regular process of applying for aid.

Generally, we can apply your regular UNC aid to your study abroad expenses (with the exception of work-study).

For more expensive programs, additional loans may be available.For less expensive programs, aid funding may be reduced to match reduced costs. We always reduce loans first, to preserve as much grant and scholarship funding as possible.

Study Abroad Scholarships

Scholarships are available through the Study Abroad Office. Be sure to complete the essay questions on your study abroad application!

The University also offers the Frances L. Phillips Travel Scholarship for independent, self-directed travel (not regular study abroad programs). It’s a competitive award open to juniors and seniors in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Receiving Aid and Paying Your Bill

Financial aid is paid into your student account when on-campus classes begin. You may need to purchase plane tickets or cover visa expenses before then, so plan ahead.

Any aid funding left over after your account charges are paid will be refunded to you. Sign up for Direct Deposit so you can get those funds without having to pick up a check!

If you’re expecting an outside scholarship, we encourage you to complete a Limited Power of Attorney Agreement or ask your provider to make the check payable solely to UNC-CH.

Visa Letters

Email fa_studyabroad@unc.edu to request a visa letter. We can only provide one if you’ve already completed a Financial Aid for Study Abroad Formand only after you’ve been accepted into a program and your aid is finalized.


More information about financial aid for Study Abroad can be found here, or check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Email fa_studyabroad@unc.edu with any questions! We’re happy to help.