The summer is considered a part of the prior academic year, so you’ll need to complete an earlier FAFSA to be considered if you haven’t yet done so.
Applying for Summer Aid
- Completing your FAFSA by May 15 means you will automatically be considered for summer financial aid. You must enroll in at least two credit hours in either summer session and meet general aid eligibility requirements.
- Check your UNC email and monitor your ConnectCarolina To Do List for any additional requests in case we need more information to complete your aid application. Notifications of summer aid will begin in mid-April.
- Summer aid awards may include Pell Grants, Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized federal loans. Parents may also apply for a Parent PLUS loan. You may also choose to apply for private loans. If you borrowed the annual Direct Loan maximum during the fall or spring semester, you will not be eligible to borrow a Direct Loan during the summer term.
- Special programs like Summer Degree Completion through the summer school may have additional funding available. You can view those aid offers through ConnectCarolina beginning mid-April.
- Your summer aid offer could change if your enrollment status changes. Dropping hours before or after the start of the summer session may result in repayment of financial aid, including funds already disbursed to you.
Summer Internship Grant
The Summer Internship Grant provides funding for current students pursuing summer opportunities that advance their career or academic interests.
Grants range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand, depending on a student’s need and proposed budget.
This competitive grant is meant to help meet basic living expenses. Students are responsible for finding an internship and covering expenses beyond the value of the grant.
Application for 2020 Summer Internship Grant is available here and due by Friday, April 10, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
All applicants will be notified of their status by the last week of April.
- Open to students who received need-based financial aid during the current academic year.
- Summer internships must last at least four weeks. Internships can be paid or unpaid, for academic credit or not for credit.
- Students must complete a short reflection statement upon finishing their internship.
- Priority is placed on students who will graduate in December 2020 or May 2021.
To get a sense of what we’re looking for, you can view a sample application: Internship Grant Example.