UNC Scholars Program
UNC Scholars Program
Scholarships included in the UNC Scholars Program are: Johnston, Pogue, Colonel Robinson, Morrison, Blue Sky, and the Carolina Scholarships. These scholarships include extra programmatic features that others do not:
- A caring faculty mentor who knows you well. We recruit some of the best undergraduate professors on campus to work with you and a small group of your scholar peers over the course of your four years at Carolina. Grab pizza or catch a Playmakers show with them. Ask about your mentor’s research. Talk to them about ways to connect with internships. You’ll have a caring, knowledgeable faculty member in your corner all the way to your senior year, when you’re weighing your post-college options.
- A smart, fun, motivated community of friends. We call them pods – a cohort of about 12-16 scholars that begin at Carolina at the same time and have the same faculty mentor. Your pod won’t be your only or group of friends, but they are a wonderful, supportive home base of bright students, all with different perspectives, who enjoy hanging out and keeping each other sharp. You’ll get to know each other at the first-year retreat.
- …About that retreat. Almost as soon as you step foot on UNC’s beautiful campus in August, we whisk you away for an off-campus retreat. The point of this is simple – your experience at Carolina and your opportunities after college will be brighter if you invest time in the people around you. We have a ton of fun exploring the beautiful scenery of North Carolina, getting to know your podmates and fellow Scholars, your faculty mentor, the scholarships staff, and spend some time charting out how you want to shape your college years.
- Please note that the August 2020 retreat has been postponed.
- Summer project opportunities. Want to do research in a neuroscience lab in Tokyo? Cool. Fascinated with smart city planning in Spain? We are, too. Got the chance to apprentice with an entrepreneur in the Big Apple? Nice work! UNC Scholars have the opportunity to apply for funding to support the summer explorations that match your ambitions. These self-designed project proposals are your chance to apply your coursework in meaningful ways to your professional and personal growth.
- Taking in all that Carolina has to offer. We want our scholars to not only attend and excel in class but to really take advantage of the benefits of being on this world-class university. So, we offer perks like free tickets to plays staged by UNC’s PlayMakers Repertory Company and performances at Memorial Hall through Carolina Performing Arts. We hope that the arts will fuel your thoughts and friendships, so be sure to make a run for coffee or frozen yogurt after the show with your fellow Scholars.
- Honors Carolina. Come here, go anywhere. All students who are in the UNC Scholars Program are also automatically invited to Honors Carolina. Enjoy small first-year seminars covering timely topics, Honors Study Abroad Programs, and professional networking.