We have extended the enrollment deadline to May 15, 2024. View the announcement

Work-Study Student Resources

Welcome Students!


The following information can help you to understand the work-study student process. Prior to accessing the JobX site to apply for positions on July 7, please complete the six steps below that are live for the 23-24 aid year!

Annual Student Requirements


Once hired you will meet with your employer’s HR Officer to complete four
benefits enrollment processes:

  • I‐9 Verification
  • Federal Payroll withholding (for federal taxes)
  • NC Payroll withholding (for state taxes)
  • Direct Deposit Enrollment (may not be required for off‐campus positions)

You will need to provide certification documents for the I‐9 process. You can find a full list of acceptable documents here.


On or before the first day of work:

  • If you are working on-campus you will meet with your supervisor to complete University‐required training on the TIM system, which you will use to log your work hours for payroll purposes
  • If you are working off‐campus you will be trained on job‐specific systems.

You will also be provided with any required training on topics such as confidentiality,
workplace safety, or material handling. Supervisors will also use this time to help you become better acquainted with your workplace and duties. This usually includes:

  • Tours of the workplace
  • Introduction to coworkers
  • Training on workplace equipment


Resources are updated annually for the upcoming year on or around May 15. If you are looking for resources for the upcoming academic year, check back after that date!


Course credit is available for your Federal Work-Study position if it is relevant to your field of study, academic major, or minor!

Approval means you:

  • have a current Work-Study position,
  • have met with your academic advisor,
  • are enrolled in an elective or course suited towards this experience created by your advisor, and
  • have done the necessary paperwork with your supervisor, department, and academic advisor.

Not all Work-Study positions are eligible for course credit. It is your responsibility, as the student, to obtain a position and meet with your advisor and supervisor to determine eligibility and criteria.

If you approved and receive academic credit you may not be:

  • paid less than your usual wage if no academic credit had been given;
  • paid for receiving instruction in a classroom, laboratory, or other academic setting; and
  • paid unless the employer would normally pay a person for the same job.

If you have been approved, complete the following form to get credit for your paid work experience:

Course Credit Request Form

Job Spotlight!

Having trouble finding a position on JobX? These jobs are newly posted and featured this week.

Professional Tips

Check out some professional tips and application resources to help you in your current job and future career.

Work-Study To Loan Conversion Form

If you find that you need to convert part of your work-study to a loan or if you are unable to participate in work-study and want to convert the award offer into a loan, you can do so by clicking the button below to access our forms page. You will find the form under the 'Loan Forms' heading.


Email our work-study team with any additional questions you have.